January = yikes!
Having spoken to many colleagues over the years, the comments are consistent. If your work (or business) plays a support role to lawyers, you probably already know this to be true... January is one of two peak periods for the legal industry. The other being September.
The easy analysis is to say 'new years' for January and 'back to school/work - summer holidays guilt' for September. And I do believe that's part of it.
Interestingly, however, I suspect our legal vertical may push this situation to an extreme for a number of reasons:
- Billable hour / WIP - the need to re-fill the funnel;
- Non-billable work needs to get done - for many busy lawyers, this is an opportunity that too infrequently presents itself;
- Firm/PG/lawyer plans - just like new year's resolutions, Jan & Sept are prime times for business planning;
- Budgets & budget review time - connected to planning, but another course adjustment that needs periodic review.
- welcomed our first over-seas client, China law firm King & Wood
- published another edition of the Canadian law blog awards
- launched a new blog on the topic of lawyers & addiction, along with securing sponsor support from the Meadows Treatment Center
- hired another employee - bringing us to 3!
- am busy prepping 2 papers/presentations for ABA Techshow
- helping relaunch a client blog on Nursing Home Abuse
- increased the number of Florida lawyer blogs to 85 on our watch site
- ... and that's just the stuff I can tell you about. ;)
I hope to get back in the saddle shortly. :)