Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Moose Camp 2006

A belated post on my attendance at last Friday's Moose Camp at the Canadian blogging conference Northern Voice, held on February 10th & 11th here in Vancouver.

Since the actual Northern Voice conference fell on my daughter's birthday, I was limited to attending the Moose Camp pre-conference. By a number of accounts, it was regarded it as the lesser event of the two day conference. But I have to tell you, perhaps ignorance is bliss, because I would not have known it! I found Moose Camp to be everything it was packaged as, and much more. Let me also say, I paid $30 Canadian for the day. Now I'm even more disappointed at missing last year's event.

So here's the scoop - first of all, the caliber of the event was fantastic. The organizers of this event obviously have some serious web-credibility to draw out the A-list bloggers like they did, and the support of many Seattle bloggers was evident from the moment I arrived. The attendees were like a bloggers who's who, including Robert Scoble (Microsoft), David Sifry (Technorati), Chris Pirillo (brand him), Matt Mullenweg (Wordpress), and a host of others.

The session I enjoyed the most was the EdubloggerHootenanny. Am I an Edublogger? Nope :-), but my KM intuition told me to attend, and that my interest in 'the learning organization' would be fulfilled. Oh boy was it! Brian Lamb & friends blew me away. Not only did they know their stuff, but the conversation was very open with a variety of people jumping in, and the group was very in-tune with delivering a learning enhanced environment via the blog.

I also attended sessions on:
  • Structured Blogging led by Bryan Rieger;
  • a session called We're All Journalists Now led by Mark Hamilton on the intersection of blogs and the media;
  • Community Building with Blogs led by Dethe Elza and non-profit blogging champion Nancy White (very impressed by her work);
  • a product preview of dabble db (thumbs up);
  • and a session on 'Leadership Hacks' led by Technorati founder David Sifry - who is a one man quote machine.

There was little to no effort by the organizers to hit the mainstream local media. That aside, how this event went so completely under the radar is beyond me. Someone missed the boat.

$30 Canadian! think I got my money's worth?

1 Comments:

Blogger Mr. GluSniffer said...

Thanks for the positive vibe back. I'm glad you enjoyed the event. We appreciated your strong and constructive participation (early on, when we needed it).

9:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home