Monday, April 25, 2005

End-to-end Knowledge Management

As many of you know, I'm always on the lookout for practical applications of KM in law firms. One resource I came upon recently was the blog of Tom Collins, a retired lawyer and KM Consultant. Tom's blog is pretty good (especially if you dig into those archives), but what intrigued me was the diagram on the homepage of his consulting practice, Advocacy 2100, LLC:

If you take a closer look (click on the image to see a larger version), you'll see some very practical examples of work processes that occur in law firms each day. When the experts start talking about codified knowledge, this is what I envision... The other part I like here is the 'loop back'. When KM is working well, a firm will have some excellent routines (and capturing technology) in place to gather the various 'outputs' in the diagram above. No 'loop back' equals no KM.

I'm usually not a big fan of diagrams or charts, but I think Tom's makes a lot of intuitive sense.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home