Thursday, May 10, 2007

LinkedIn: Lawyers Adopting Quickly

A while back I posted on getting Librarians revved up about using LinkedIn and establishing better professional connectivity. Still think that's a great idea, but what's impressed me more lately is how quickly Lawyers are adopting.

I mentioned LinkedIn during an in-house presentation at my law firm a few weeks back, and knew at that point about 15% of our Lawyers were on it. Checking back today, that number has jumped to around 35%. And that doesn't include either students (it's almost a given that every new student has an account) or the non-lawyers in the firm (eg. yours truly).

Lawyers already get networking for BD and the "it's who you know" concept, so these numbers really shouldn't surprise. There's a tipping point on any new technology, especially in the legal industry, where adoption suddenly becomes socially acceptable. Many newer web technologies -- blogs, wikis, RSS, tagging, etc. -- are building towards that tipping point. It seems strange to say this, but social networking might just be closer to that cultural break than any of the others.

Not sure I would have thought that a year ago.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Connie Crosby said...

It is surprising, isn't it? And yet, as we promote all of these social networking opportunities, people in various organizations including government (at least in Ontario) are being blocked from accessing them. I think it is a security/bandwidth issue, but I think it is naive to think that all those people can miss what is happening in these various spaces and still try to be innovative. I am trying to get my head around that aspect. These are people who are keen to give it a try, incorporate new efficiencies into their workday, and it is being denied them.

*rant off*

9:02 PM  
Blogger GrowthinkResearch said...

Wow.. I find the exact opposite to be true. Less than 10% of my law school classmates are on LinkedIn, and most of them only have 1 or 2 connections.

7:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home